Yesterday was Valentine's Day and tomorrow is our 12th anniversary, so here I am with 12 things I love about my husband. Sappy? Totally. I promise this will be the sappiest post of the year. It hurts my inner snark too much.
1. He washes the egg pan. I make eggs a few times a week for breakfast, and then get busy making lunches for school kids. Travis always washes the egg pan. This is nice because it really grosses me out to do it if I don't get it washed right away, and I don't really have time for that in the mornings.
2. He makes the coffee. Also part of our morning routine. While I'm doing the kid stuff he's got the coffee started, so I can sit down with a cup as soon as the kids are out the door. Now that we're juicing I drink my juice first and look forward to my coffee even more.
3. I believe I've said this before, but he usually puts gas in my car when it needs it. This is especially appreciated in the winter. I hate standing in the cold. I hate static electricity. I love feeling cared for when I get in my car and the tank is full. He also takes it for oil changes.
4. He's really funny. Who doesn't like to laugh? Not a day goes by that he doesn't do something that makes me laugh out loud. Laughter is good for your marriage, friends.
5. He has never asked me to cut back on my haircuts. I get my hair cut every six weeks, and colored every other appointment. Now, I do get a great deal, but it is still a luxury expense. And he never complains and never suggests I go longer between appointments.
6. He handles all the dental care for the kids. First, we were negligent in getting started with regular dental care. When we finally did, I realized I was going to need him home with the little kids while I was at the dentist with other kids, so I asked if he would just handle the scheduling and such. So he does. With 5 kids going for regular cleanings, and then a couple with orthodontic care starting, he spends a lot of time at the dentist. And doesn't complain.
7. Travis loves baseball as much as I do. This is no small thing. I am truly a happier person knowing that baseball season is underway and he shares my enthusiasm. I feel so blessed that neither one of us has to fake an interest in the other's passion. We actually share a love for many sports, especially UNT teams. It makes our marriage fun.
8. He is committed to our shared faith. Naturally we both go through dry spells in our spiritual life, but knowing that we are both secure in our shared Catholicism is huge. When one of us is struggling, we know we can turn to each other and speak of our struggles with a shared knowledge and belief. When you have 6 kids in 8 years this is no small thing.
9. He loves my family. I am especially grateful for the friendship he has with my brother. I am so glad that we both get along with our families and that it is not a source of tension in our marriage. We're very blessed.
10. He's a great dad. When I go out of town he does all kinds of fun things with the kids. I never have to feel like he can't handle being on his own with the kids. He is silly and funny and loving. None of us are perfect parents, but I could learn so much from his selflessness with our kids.
11. He shows up. He goes to work, even though it is not his passion, and he succeeds. He puts taking care of his family ahead of his desires. He goes to practices and games and performances. He helps with homework. He encourages me to pursue my hobbies and friendships. He does what a husband and father should do.
12. He still loves me, despite my princess ways. In 12 years I think I have actually grown more high maintenance, somehow. But he rolls with the punches and makes sure I know I'm loved and treasured. He walks with me through each new phase of life, keeping me balanced and steady. I'm so blessed.